The main reference for editing wiki pages can be found here.
For editing large and complex sections of wiki code (such as large tables with many CSS style tags), it can sometimes be easier to copy the code into an editor like Notepad++ - which provides more advanced features than the in wiki editor, such as find/replace - and then copy the edited code back into the wiki edit box.
These are the hexadecimal red/green/blue values for colors used on this site. Some may already have been defined for use in <span> tags at MediaWiki:Common.css
PicPick is a screen capture program that has the ability to grab just a section of the screen, and it includes a basic image editor.
Most image content for the site though should be sourced from the game files where possible, to ensure that eg. captures of semi-transparent images don't include the background. The files comprising the game's User Interface can be extracted using this method, and then a program like XnView can be used to browse the images, which are in .blp format. blp2png can then be used to convert them to a format compatible with use on the web.
Because images on the wiki may be added into pages through template code, their file names should be all lower case, and of a similar form. Being descriptive in the file name also saves having to fill in the description field when uploading, and makes it easier to find groups of files in the file list. eg.:
- icon class druid.png
- icon trade blacksmithing.png
- icon race orc female.png
- icon dungeon ragefire chasm.png
- icon ability warrior shield slam.png
- screenshot npc auctioneer sowata.png
- screenshot npc bow and rifle vendor kaja.png
- screenshot location booty bay.png -
- map world city azeroth orgrimmar.png - Maps form the main map called up by pressing 'M'.
- map world zone northrend icecrown.png
- map world dungeon ragefire chasm.png
- map mini valley of wisdom.png - minimap scale maps, which may have been stitched together from several images (or extracted from game data and cropped).
 (with enchant, gem and pieces for set bonus in the tooltip)